Evaluating the Dual-Purpose of Chickpea: A Cash and Cover Crop for Agricultural Production Systems in the Southeast
- Evaluate yield, nutritional quality and nitrogen (N)-fixation of chickpeas integrated into corn cropping systems.
- Assess N-fixation by chickpea and N credit to the subsequent cash crop on the three most promising varieties at both research sites and on growers’ fields.
- Measure insect and disease pressure in the rotational crops.
- Evaluate and compare the economic feasibility of production for evaluated chickpea varieties.
- Incorporate stakeholders’ recommendations in the evaluation of project activities, conduct outreach and training, and disseminate findings on the potential dual-purpose of chickpea in agricultural production systems.
This work is supported by Southern Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) project no. LS21-353 from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture.